Cardinal Lodge No. 491

History of Cardinal Lodge A.F. and A.M No. 491 G.R.C.

Cardinal Masonic Lodge No. 491, A.F.& A.M. was instituted on March25, 1909, in the lodge rooms over the Ranson bldg. This building was used until condemned in April 1992. Officers from Prescott, Iroquois, Cornwall and Russell were present, with J.F. Graham of Prescott being the first Master.  Among those first initiated were E.J.  Wormington, G.F. Van Camp, Elgin McLaughlin, and A.E. Eastman (Jim Grant’s grandfather).  Six past masters have become D.D.G.Ms – E.J. Wormington, Dr. John Locke, W.T. Kingston, J.C. Sim, T.E. Amell, Edwin Lockhart and Brian Clifford.

At the December 1934 meeting all the chairs (as many as twelve) were filled by school teachers.  James E. Schlichter, Brian Clifford’s grandfather, was Master at that time. In 1935 at a meeting three local ministers took part in the degree work.  They were Rev. Archer of St. Andrews Presbyterian, Rev. Booth of St. Paul’s Anglican and Rev W.W. Jones of the United Church .
During the 2nd World War five members served on active duty.  They were Tom  Amell, Matt Van Camp, Arnold Cross, Russ Scott and Walter Livings.
During John Sim’s  term as D.D.G.M.  the Grand Master  made an official visit to Cardinal Lodge.As a Centennial Project in 1967 the Lodge donated  a table to the Cardinal Public Library.

In April, 1993, when “Ted” Lockhart was making his official visit as D.D.,  heavy snow and rain came through the roof making the lodge room a disaster.  The Lodge was invited to meet at Friendly Bros. Lodge in Iroquois.  Bro. J.E. Dodge offered to repair and modernize the Lodge room and in April 1984, a ribbon-cutting for the restored building was held.  By 1988, the roof was leaking again, damaging ceiling tiles and carpet. By 1992, the Lodge was in such bad shape, we again accepted Friendly Bros. offer and moved the charter to Iroquois Fraternal Hall where we still meet.
Our Lodge furnishings were disposed of by auction, except the Master’s and Wardens’ chairs which were donated to Avonmore Lodge No. 452.
Seventy three different persons have held the position of  Master  during our 100 years of existence.

logostrip