Plantagenet Lodge No. 186

A.F. & A.M. G.R.C. in the Province of Ontario (Instituted 1867)

3965 County Road 16,
Riceville, Ontario, Canada

Meets: Second Monday 8:00pm
except June, July and August

For information please contact us at:

V.W. Bro. John Clemens – johnclemens186@sympatico.ca

Plantagenet 186

History of Plantagenet Lodge A.F. & A.M. No.186 G.R.C.

Plantagenet Lodge is a Centennial Lodge and was Instituted on February 19th, 1867 as Plantagenet Lodge No. 186.  The Warrant was signed by the Grand Master, M.W. Bro. William Mercer Wilson.  Many of the Charter members who helped to form our lodge were members of St. John’s Lodge No. 159 R.I. (Registry of Ireland) in Vankleek Hill now St. John’s Lodge No. 21A.  The first regular meeting was held on April 15th, 1867.  Regular meetings were held on or before the full moon of every month as well as on the Festival of St. John the Baptist and St. John the Evangelist, effectively 14 meetings per year.  From 1867 to 1913 meetings were held in the Village of Plantagenet which was a thriving community at that time.  In the late 1800’s there were indications that a move was needed with interest shown in moving the Lodge to Riceville, which in those years was a growing community.  On November the 10th, 1913 the first meeting was held in Riceville, probably in the Baptist Church.  Over the next year, the present lot was purchased and work began, with mostly volunteer labour by members, to build the Lodge building. On November 2nd, 1914 the first meeting was held in the new lodge building.  In these years there were approximately 65 members in the lodge. The lodge experienced hard times through the 1st and 2nd World War and the Great Depression.  From the late 1960’s through to the early 1980’s new membership dwindled and it was only through the assistance of Brethren from Ottawa Lodges that the Lodge survived.  In the 1980’s the building was in dire need of repairs and work was undertaken to lift the lodge and pour a new floor.  Shortly thereafter a washroom was added.   Membership in the lodge is presently steady, but in the low 40’s with many of the members having ties to the rural community.  Over the years many of our members have also been members of the Riceville Agricultural Society and we still enjoy this strong connection to the local community and help support the Fair.  In recent years Plantagenet Lodge has traditionally welcomed the D.D.G.M. on his Official Visit to our November meeting for a District Remembrance Service.

Since the creation of Eastern District, our Lodge has provided seven District Deputy Grand Masters and a good number of Grand Lodge Officers.

D.D.G.M’S:

R.W. Bro. John Smith 1907-08,

R.W. Bro Martin Ward Shepherd  1915-16,

R.W. Bro. George Albert Ryan  1935-36,

R.W. Bro. Bert Fawcett  1952-53,

R.W. BroJames H. Fawcett  1972-73,

R.W. Bro. Lowell Blaney  1992-93

R.W. Bro. J. Robert (Bob) Cleary 2008-09

Grand Senior Warden

R.W. Bro. Hunter Reid  1982-83

Grand Registrar:

R.W. Bro. Donald  Green  2004-05

Grand Chaplain

R.W. Bro. Rev. M. John Moor 2003-04

Grand Steward’s:

V.W. Bro. John Smith  1898-99,

V.W. Bro. Wyman A. Chamberlain  1902-03,

V.W. Bro Henry Smith 1908-09,

V.W. Bro. George Albert Ryan  1916-17,

V.W. Bro. Dr. John MacIntosh   1936-37,

V.W. Bro. Clifford Ryan  1953-54,

V.W. Bro. Alvin Brownell  1969-70,

V.W. Bro. Lawrence Ryan  1973-74,

V.W. Bro. Frank Williams  1991-92

V.W. Bro. John Clemens 1993-94

V.W. Bro. David G. Lingley 2009-2010

masterbutton

logostrip